by Noël Coward (1924)
Attention one and all! Gunn High School Theatre’s fall production, Hay Fever, is attacking theatergoers with irrepressible laughter! Long considered to be one of Noël Coward’s finest comedies, Hay Fever is a classic 20’s British romp and, spun out of the thinnest and most dizzying of air, shows that brilliantly penned fluff still rises. And, while the story may be frothy and trivial, its characters self-indulgent and determinedly lacking in depth, and Mr. Coward himself may once have said that the play has “no plot at all and remarkably little action,” this delightful comic gem remains startlingly fresh as well as simply irresistible.
Coward’s 1924 comedy describes a weekend at the Bliss country home an hour out of London during which famous and retired actress Judith, her novelist husband, David and their grown children, Sorel and Simon each receives a separately invited guest. By Sunday morning, the visitors are fleeing the Bliss manor en masse, driven away by a family whose rudeness, bad manners and self-absorption know no bounds.
We certainly hope you join us for a bracing dose of the Blisses and their hapless house guests!
All parts in Hay Fever will be double cast. Each actor will have four performances.
Hay Fever Performances. Click on the performance to see the cast for that performance:
NOTE: The Saturday matinee is at 2 pm, rather than at 2:30 as indicated on some of the posters. We apologize for any confusion this might have caused.
- Rehearsals are M, T, Th, Fr after school from 3:45-5:45
- TICKETS on sale here!
- A long-standing Gunn Theatre tradition: Tech Weekend Potlucks from 10am-6pm both weekends before we open, October 25th–26th and November 1st–2nd.
- The parents provide food for the hard-working students!
- On the October 25th–26th weekend, we’ll have over 80 teenage mouths to feed, and we just can’t do it without everyone contributing something!
- This year’s Gala, at 6pm on opening night (11/6), we are asking for parent help for setup and food. Please sign up at this link.
Please, please, sign-up below to keep our young actors fed and happy! Sign-up often and for as many items as you are able to contribute.
|Sat., 10/25||Potluck (Italian-themed)|
|Sun., 10/26||Potluck (Asian-themed)|
|Sat., 11/1||Potluck (Mexican-themed)|
|Sun., 11/2||Potluck (American-themed)|
- 9/11: Hay Fever Cast and Crew PARENTS met Thursday 9/11 @ 7pm. Gunn Studio Theatre. If your child is in the cast of Hay Fever or is a student in Stage Tech, please come tonight at 7pm to find all about the show, what help we’ll need from you (not TOO much, I promise!) and fill out some forms. We’ll start right at 7pm and end before 8! PLEASE COME! We really need you! Thanks, Jim Shelby and Kristen Lo