The annual Gunn-Paly Oregon Shakespeare Festival Trip happened April 10-13, 2014 and was limited to only 21 Gunn students (along with 21 Paly students). There were some eligibility requirements so that the students who have given the most to the program got the first opportunities to go. Below is important information about eligibility for the trip.
Total expenses for the trip, which included round-trip bus transportation, three nights lodging at the Columbia Hotel, tickets to the five plays, two workshops, set changeover in Bowmer theatre, Saturday brunch, and teacher-led discussions were $552. Except for the brunch, FOOD EXPENSES WERE NOT INCLUDED IN THIS AMOUNT.
No student was turned away from this trip for lack of funds – the Gunn Theatre Boosters are able to help any family with an eligible student who is chosen for the trip. If you needed help with the deposit as well, thank you for letting Mr. Shelby know right away so that your student’s name could be included in those who were considered for selection for the trip. Your family may have been asked to provide documentation of need.
This trip used teachers from Gunn and Paly as chaperones as a way to help build a unified Palo Alto educational theater community. The trip is always a highlight of the year in Gunn Theatre.
Gunn-Paly Oregon Shakespeare Festival Trip April 10-14 2014 Information
• There were twenty-one places for Gunn students on the trip and twenty-one for Paly students.
• Only active and involved theatre students are eligible. You must be working on or off stage for two of the four Gunn Theatre productions this year (including Broadway Workshop). On January 31st, 2014, eligible students were selected in order of class priority, and a waiting list was created at that point.
• This was a District-approved field trip. You missed two days of school (Thursday April 10th and Friday April 11th). You were responsible for all work missed as a result of participation in this activity.
• We stayed at the Columbia Hotel on Main Street in Ashland, Oregon.
• We saw the following plays presented by the Oregon Shakespeare Festival and the Oregon Cabaret Theatre:
|Water by the Spoonful||by Quiara Alegria Hudes||Thomas Theatre|
|The Cocoanuts||by Irving Berlin & George S. Kaufman||Bowmer Theatre|
|The Comedy of Errors||by William Shakespeare||Thomas Theatre|
|The Tempest||by William Shakespeare||Bowmer Theatre|
|Wonderettes: Caps & Gowns||by Roger Bean||Oregon Cabaret Theatre|
•Our group also enjoyed an actor-led acting workshop, pre-show warm-ups and post show discussions, a celebratory brunch with members of the company whom we invited, as well as a one hour pre-brunch discussion by a selected company member.
•You reserved a place by filling out the accompanying application and attaching a CHECK for $250.00, payable to GUNN THEATRE BOOSTERS as deposit towards your total expenses, and submitted it to Mr. Shelby by lunch Friday, January 31st, 2014.
Only active and involved theatre students were eligible. You must have worked, been working, or commited to work on or off stage for two of the four Gunn Theatre productions this year to have been eligible for this trip.